Skip to main content Skip to navigation
July 13, 2020     
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Court Services > Marriage Licenses
Court Services - Marriage Licenses


Clerk’s Office Location:Marriage Division, Second Floor
M.C. Blanchard Judicial Building
190 W Government St
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 595-4300
Century Division
Billy G. Ward Century Courthouse
7500 N. Century Blvd (HWY 29)
Century, FL 32535
(850) 256-6161
Marriage License Hours:Monday-Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M.
The following MUST be provided when applying for a marriage license:
1.One of the following: Valid driver’s license, military I.D., alien registration card or passport
2.Know your social security number or alien registration number
3.Know month, date and year previous marriage ended
4.Cost of License $86.00 without pre-marital counseling
5.Cost of License $61.00 with pre-marital counseling (must bring certificate of completion of course)
6.Cost for ceremony to be performed by Clerk is $30.00
7.Cost for each additional certified copy of marriage License is $3.00
8.Must provide translator if either party cannot understand or speak English

All fees are payable by cash, Mastercard, Visa, Check or money order payable to the Clerk of Circuit Court.
(3½ % fee added when paid by Mastercard and Visa)

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I obtain a certified copy of a marriage license?
Certified copies of marriage licenses can be obtained from our Archives and Records Division. between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 4:00 P.M.

What is age limit a person can get a marriage license without parental consent?
The individual must be at least 18 years of age.

If under the age of 18, can I still get a marriage license?
Per 741.04, F.S. Issuance of marriage license, with the effect of prohibiting a county court judge or Clerk of Court from issuing a marriage license to a person under the age of 18. However, a person that is at least 17 years of age may marry with written parental or legal guardian consent, but only if the other party is no more than two years older:

  • Written consent of the parent or guardian of the minor to such marriage, acknowledged before an officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments and administer oaths, is filed with the clerk or court; or
  • Both parents of the minor are deceased at the time of application; or
  • When the minor has been married previously.

A county court judge may, with his/her discretion, issue a marriage license to a minor under 18 years when:

  • Both parties to the marriage submit an application sworn under oath that they are the parents of a child; or
  • When the fact of pregnancy is verified by the written statement of a licensed physician and both parties submit an application sworn under oath that they are the expectant parents of a child; or
  • When the fact of pregnancy is verified by the written statement of a licensed physician, the female applicant is under 18 years of age, the male applicant is over 18 years of age, and the female's application sworn under oath states that she is an expectant parent.

Is a waiting period required?
If both applicants ARE NOT a resident of the State of Florida, then no waiting period is required.

If either applicant is a resident of the State of Florida, then Florida does require a three day waiting period from the date you apply for your license. If both applicants have taken a premarital preparation course within one year prior to applying for their marriage license, from a course provider registered with the Clerk of Courts in Florida the waiting period will then be waived.

Example for the three day waiting period:

License obtained on Monday, effective date will be Thursday
License obtained on Tuesday, effective date will be Friday
License obtained on Wednesday, effective date will be Saturday
License obtained on Thursday, effective date will be on Sunday
License obtained on Friday, effective date will be on Monday

Is a blood test required?
The State of Florida does not require a blood test.

Who can perform marriage ceremonies?
Ordained ministers or elders in communion with some church; all judicial officers; clerks of the circuit court, or a notary public of the State of Florida.

If I get a marriage license in the State of Florida, can I take it to another state to be married?
No. The license is valid only in Florida and you must be married in the State of Florida.

How long is a marriage license good for?
A Marriage License must be used within 60 days from the effective date. The effective date is located on your license.

Will we have to read any material prior to our marriage license being issued?
Yes. Both applicants must read and make a sworn affidavit that they have read the Family Law Handbook created by the Family Law Section of the Florida Bar.

Must I be a Florida resident or a U.S. Citizen to apply for a marriage license?
No. Non-Florida residents and individuals who are not citizens of the United States of America may apply for a marriage license F.S. 741.04.

  • Any person who is not a citizen of the United States, and has not been issued a social security number or an alien with a registration number, is encouraged to provide another form of identification such as a passport or visa.

Do I need to bring witnesses?
Witnesses are not required in the State of Florida.

Can I marry a relative?
Per F.S. 741.21, A man person may not marry any woman person he/she is related by lineal consanguinity, nor his/her sister sibling, nor his/her aunt/uncle, nor his/her niece/nephew. A woman person may not marry any man to whom she is related by lineal consanguinity, nor his/her brother, nor his/her uncle, nor his/her nephew.

Can I marry a person of the same sex as I am?
Yes. Additionally, the Clerk's office performs ceremonies for an additional charge of $30.00.

Is my marriage in another state to a person of the same sex recognized in Florida?

The law in Florida is in flux and subject to change. Please do not rely on this website as legal advice or to reflect the current state of the law. Please contact our Marriage Department at (850) 595-4300 if you have any questions.

The Clerk of the Circuit Court acts as agent for the State of Florida for issuing licenses per Florida Statute 741.

Every marriage license shall be issued by a county judge or clerk of the circuit court under his/her hand and seal. The county judge or clerk of the circuit court shall issue such license, upon application for the license, if there appears to be no impediments to the marriage. [F.S. 741.01]

No county court judge or clerk of the circuit court in this state shall issue a license for the marriage of any person unless there shall be first presented and filed with him/her an affidavit in writing, signed by both parties to the marriage, made and subscribed before some person authorized by law to administer an oath, reciting the true and correct ages of such parties; unless both parties shall be over the age of 18, except as provided in 741.0405. [F.S. 741.04]


Please read the instructions for the forms that you are downloading.
Additional forms may be needed depending on your situation.

NOTE: The forms supplied by the Clerk's office are general in nature and may not meet your specific needs. The Clerk does not guarantee the legal sufficiency of these forms; therefore, you may need to consult with an attorney regarding your particular situation.